Enough sarcasm, I know. My point is this. Yes, the economy is bad and we are faced with two very distinct options. 1) We continue to report that it is bad and drag people into a deeper malaise or 2) We figure out a way to get through it.
I don’t think that people should ignore the economic reality. That wouldn’t be smart. I do believe however that in the US we pride ourselves on figuring things out and coming up with answers. This constant barrage of economic distress news has taken away some of that spirit. It then becomes the job of individuals to influence their sphere of influence in a real way. As internet marketers we have a unique opportunity to do so. How? Here are a few thoughts.
- Dig deeper into your current customers’ situations. Seek to help them beyond just SEO or paid search or social media. Help them see opportunities via the internet that they may not have been willing to explore when things were better. Give people hope through new ideas.
- Get better at your craft. I am not ‘salesy’ enough to say to my current clients or prospects that I know everything about internet marketing. The reality is that nobody does. I am pledging to myself to learn more so I can get more mileage for myself and my clients regarding the work I do. Generate hope through education.
- Experiment more. We certainly live in uncertain times. The reality is that on the other side of this it probably won’t be business as usual. Those who adapt to the new environment and adopt the new way of the economic world will be prepared for success when this turns around. Give hope through forward thinking.
- Remember that business happens with people. I have spent my life learning about how to do business. I have seen a process take place from where I depersonalized (even dehumanized) the people that I do business with (to get the sale) to seeing them as people with needs beyond the sale. I have a responsibility to meet those needs. The needs may even be more than business. People struggle with life and sometimes need help. Internet marketing helps the bottom line for sure but what about the person who is hurting? Their ability to even care about business may be impaired due to life’s circumstances. We should help each other beyond the transaction. Give hope through caring.
- Find business despite the news. As internet marketers we should be able to uncover the gems for our clients that are out there even during this mess. Is it reasonable to say that business has simply stopped happening? No. Has it slowed? Sure it has. All that means is that the numbers may not be as high but the numbers still exist and they have to continue to exist. Give hope by contributing to the positive not the negative.
Of course, there are a million other ways to give hope in today’s environment. Got any thoughts?
FT Takeaway: The economy is bad. Hope is good. Help people by giving them hope not more bad news. Use internet marketing for change and progress beyond the dollars and cents. Make a difference.